Sunday, January 3, 2010

BOSTON BUILDUP 10K

They say fighters can get old between rounds, for me it's between races. Nov 16, 2008 I ran the Swamp Devil 15K in 1:19 and change which for me was a good effort. That was it, downhill ever since. Today was windy and cold and I felt real good for 5k (26.54) but at 7K my knee did some funny stuff and next thing I know I can't get out of oxygen debt on the hills. Walked a 150m or so and got running again but there was no fire, just a meltdown in progress.
Now like any runner (or reasonable imitation) you need an excuse, or something or someone to blame. So who or what's it gonna be? The cardiologist!!! How dare he give me large doses of Beta blockers or statins knowing they could interfere with my ever running a PR again. Doesn't he hear my pleas for a higher max heart rate or less big muscle cramps on long endurance runs?
Or maybe I'm forgetting how these guys saved my life, fixed me up and sent me back out again with re-engineered coronary highways and a fresh lease on life. And oh yeah, his job is to keep me out of a box, not pushing negative splits in the dead of winter. Bring on the 15K in 2 weeks, make it colder, hillier (it is), and slower (probably - so what).

No comments:

Post a Comment